Why I Write

January 28, 2017

"We write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospect."   ~ Anaïs Nin

Why do you write?
I get asked this question a lot by people. At first, I didn't know how to answer it. I had been writing my whole life, but it was only in a personal journal that I wrote my personal thoughts and feelings. No one in my friend group or even my family knew that I kept this journal. It was all mine.
I started journaling a few years back when my grandma gave me some good advice; she told me that it is satisfactory to write what is going on in your life NOW, so when you are grown and more mature, you can look back and see what your life was like THEN.
I have never read over my past entries in  my journals, but I am sure I will one day, and laugh about all the ridiculous things that I was worried or upset about. I will relive the glory days of my teen angst and inadequate high school relationships.
But that is were, I believe, that my love for writing started. Writing/blogging about subjects that are meaningful to me, is therapeutic. It lets me release all of the words and thoughts that I have in my head and lay it all out there; whether people read it or not. I think writing is so important for the physiological health of us all -- we all need a creative outlet (even if we do not use the word 'creative' to define us).  
Since technology is the future, I will be able to look back at this blog (much like my journal), and see what this huge chunk of my life was like. I will be able to see what I was passionate about back then.
You can express yourself in so many ways (or in this case words), when you write. You can write for yourself or you can write on a blog and put it on the internet for the whole world to see...that one is up to you. But I would like to tell everyone to start keeping a journal. You don't have to write in it everyday (if you don't want to) -- I don't write in mine everyday. Keep a journal and write when you are super happy or when you are down in the dumps. Write your feelings. Write your deepest, darkest, secrets; no one is going to read it or judge you, but after you write in that little book, you feel free.
Then when you are older and wiser, you can look at that book and read through all of your emotions, see all the lessons you have learned throughout your years. It is awe-inspiring.

All the love xxx Sarah

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts